If one of your favorite things to do after a long workout is grab a bite to eat, then we’ve got a treat for you. Triathlon-loving Los Angeles chef Jared Simons says one of his go-to, post-workout meals is quinoa tacos with cashew crema. They’re 100 percent plant-based and and packed with protein! Even if the sweat is still dripping down your face, this recipe is easy enough that it won’t leave your arms feeling like Jell-O.
Ingredients (Yields 4-6 Servings):
1 cup red quinoa (uncooked)
1 1/4 cup water, plus 1/2 cup
1 large white onion
1 cup of your favorite tomato-based salsa
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp smoked paprika
1 Tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
12 corn tortillas
2 vine-ripe tomatoes
1 bunch kale (stemmed and washed)
1 cup raw cashews
1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp lemon juice
Salt to taste
- Bring 1 1/4 cups of water to a boil. Season with a heavy pinch of salt. Once the water is boiling, add quinoa and reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside for 5 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the garnish by cutting the tomato into a medium dice. Chiffonade the kale, then slice the avocados.
- Cut the onion into a small dice, setting half a cup aside for garnishing. Mince the garlic, then sweat the onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.
- Add paprika, chili powder, and cumin to the onions and mix on low heat.
- Add the cooked quinoa, half a cup of water, and one cup of salsa. Heat the mixture through and be sure to keep it warm.
- For the cashew crema, cover the cashews with 1 inch of boiling water. Let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Drain and reserve the liquid. Add the cashews to a blender with the remaining ingredients. Blend until smooth, adding the reserved liquid until you reach your desired consistency – it should look like sour cream. Chill until cool and adjust the acidity and seasoning to taste with lemon and salt.
- Time to assemble the tacos: Warm the tortillas over an open stove flame. Add avocado and a spoonful of quinoa, kale, tomato, and onion. Top it off with salsa and the cashew crema and enjoy!
Read more about this recipe here!